WHO WE ARE:
Stanton Norfolk Inc. is a division of Asian Americans for Equality, Inc. (AAFE) that manages the day-to-day operations of over 800 units of affordable housing across nearly 50 multifamily properties serving over 1,100 individuals and families in Manhattan and Queens neighborhoods, including Chinatown/Lower East Side, Flushing, and the Far Rockaways. Currently, Stanton Norfolk’s portfolio is comprised of full tax credit / affordable properties, as well as commercial spaces as part of mixed-use buildings. We pride ourselves in providing a full breadth of management services to provide quality, safe, and affordable housing; maintenance; financial reporting; and resident relations.
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization based in New York City. Founded in 1974 in Manhattan’s Chinatown to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of the city’s leading housing, social service and community development organizations. AAFE advances racial, social and economic justice for Asian Americans and other systematically disadvantaged communities, guided by our experiences as Asian Americans and our commitment to civil rights. AAFE is nationally recognized as an innovative affordable housing developer and property manager; we have created and preserved more than 1,000 affordable rental units in Manhattan and Queens and provided over $400 million in mortgage financing for first-time homebuyers. Through our affiliate, Renaissance Economic Development Corporation, AAFE supports immigrant entrepreneurs, offering low-interest loans and training programs. From neighborhood offices in Chinatown and the Lower East Side (Manhattan) and Flushing and Jackson Heights (Queens) we provide an array of multilingual counseling and educational programs in support of low-income tenants, seniors and immigrant youth. AAFE strives for a more equitable city, through research, advocacy and grassroots community organizing.
The Porter will make sure that a mixed-use residential and commercial building in Flushing, Queens is maintained daily in clean and functioning order for its occupants. Overall duties will include removing debris, maintaining common areas, restocking bathrooms, and responding to all cleaning emergencies.
- Regular working hours will be full-time 40 hours weekly. Porter will be expected to be on call during off hours to perform emergency tasks requested and not to accept other employment that would conflict with job obligations.
- Maintain a weekly time log indicating completion of chores and duties, including day and time the activity took place, and submit log to building manager with time sheet every other Friday.
- Sweep floor daily, mop public areas of building at least twice per week, including but not limited to staircases and hallways, and as otherwise needed.
- Prepare, sort and remove garbage and trash in building for pick up by garbage trucks.
- Keep basement clean and free of all clutter and debris at all times. Do not permit storage of any miscellaneous or personal items (furniture, etc.) by any tenants or occupants in the building therein. If such a situation arises, the porter must advise management so that appropriate actions can be taken to remove the items. Also, porter will remove and dispose of any dead vermin.
- Keep receptacles covered at all times. Make sure all garbage is bagged and the building is free of violations for garbage and debris at or around the building. Follow recycling rules: all recyclable and garbage is to be placed in front of the building according to New York City Department of Sanitation schedule.
- Clean rear yard, airshaft, sewer trap and roof at least once a week or more if needed.
- Promptly replace any missing or burned out bulbs in public area and basement.
- Report all tenants moving in or out of building to management office.
- Ensure that vacant apartments are kept clean and securely locked at all times and not rented or used by porter or others for any reason.
- Report any defect, suspected or otherwise, in the roof, plumbing, electrical and etc. to management.
- During snow periods, clear snow from all sidewalks adjacent to and in front of the building. During light snow or ice, apply granulated salt compound or alternative immediately to avoid slippage.
- Report any illegal activities or conduct, suspected and / or witnessed, on the part of any tenants or visitors at or around the building. If there is any evidence of drug activity (addicts, vials, needles, envelopes), or other undesirable behavior, notify management office staff person immediately.
- Report and file report on all accidents without delay to the management office.
- Maintain a neat appearance and a polite, courteous demeanor at all times.
- Advise of need for cleaning tools, supplies and equipment. When materials are ordered / requested / acquired, porter is responsible for storing them in proper place for future use.
- Keep handrails clean and free of the dust that accumulates on them.
- Wash down sidewalks and garbage beam.
- Supervise any outside contractors and utility companies. Only those contracted or approved by Management are allowed to work in the building.
- Maintain a working relationship with tenants at all times.
- Remove any obstructions on all fire egress and public areas.
- Remove stagnant water in the basement whenever needed.
- Clean apartments of debris when tenants move out with proper authorization.
- Previous work experience as a Porter, Janitor, or Custodian a plus.
- Bilingual is a plus, English/Spanish, English/Chinese, or English Korean.
- Positive attitude and good communication skills.
- Availability to work in shifts and with flexible schedules (e.g. weekends and evenings).
- Required to walk from floor to floor and may be required to walk outside between buildings in
varying outdoor weather conditions.
- Ability to move furniture; reach, lift, and carry heavy equipment.
- Required to regularly sit or stand for prolonged periods of time; bend, squat, and regularly liftup to 50 pounds through course of shift.
- Must be flexible with schedule change every quarter
Benefits Offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403B wth Employer Match, Generous Paid Time-Off and other voluntary benefits
How we work:
We believe that the people and the communities that we have the privilege to serve, deserve our very best every day. We are a results-driven organization that focuses on empowerment and impact. Renaissance employees are accountable, pragmatic, innovative and collaborative with a core strength of community service and development. We are strategic thinkers who are committed to racial equality and treating each other, and the communities we serve, with respect and dignity. This philosophy expands to the way we manage our work and the way we put our best foot forward. All employees are expected to meet the following requirements and behaviors:
- Support efforts that ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Understand and embrace the value in collaborating with people of different cultures, races, genders, ethnicities, beliefs, experiences and ideas.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Maintain a positive, helpful attitude.
- Enjoy your time at work!