Staff Generalist - Social Services, One Flushing Community Center
COMPENSATION: $29.13/hour + Benefits + PTO
LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: FLUENT IN BOTH CHINESE AND ENGLISH
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving affordable housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities.
In August 2021, AAFE reopened the One Flushing Community Center at One Flushing, a mixed-use residential and commercial project in Downtown Flushing, to provide senior day care, social services, homeownership counseling and small business services to improve the lives of low-income and immigrant New Yorkers.
The office assistant at One Flushing plays a vital role in welcoming community members and directing them to appropriate staff for assistance and services. The office assistant also provides general administrative support to ensure the office environment is well-maintained for staff and clients, by working collaboratively and communicating proactively with staff. The office assistant will report to the Office Manager at One Flushing.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the organization, greeting visitors and directing them to appropriate staff for services
- Monitor client sign-in sheet and enter the data in AAFE database on weekly
- Manage front desk operations, including but not limited to taking messages, managing the voicemail system, and monitoring the client in/out log, taking client contact info, scheduling appointments.
- Process incoming and outgoing mail, retrieve mail from exterior mailbox.
- Maintain calendar for reserving conference rooms
- Monitor Office Supplies, notify Office Manager when supplies are low; monitor, organize and restock office supplies cabinets and cleaning supply room.
- Monitor office equipment, including computers, phones, and printers, notify Office Manager when equipment is malfunctioning.
- Schedule and receive deliveries
Program Staff Support:
- Provide basic client support, including but not limited to, letter reading/explanation, scheduling appointments, referring clients to appropriate departments
- Assist eligible client to complete Entitlement Benefit and Healthcare related applications
- Photocopy documents and maintain staff telephone directories
- Ensure clients complete intake forms prior to meeting with program staff
- Prepare outreach and marketing materials, and organize and maintain the materials that are easily accessible in the office
- Perform other related work and duties as assigned
- Support AAFE events and other tasks as appropriate
This position is based at AAFE’s One Flushing Community Center from Monday - Friday, 9 am - 5 pm (part-time hours will be determined during offer), with a lunch hour from 12 pm - 1 pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required for community events and professional training.
- Minimum 1 year of administrative experience; nonprofit experience working with immigrant communities a plus
- Proficiency with using Microsoft Office and G-Suite applications, including Google Docs
- Ability to mulit-task and prioritize in a dynamic work environment to meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision
- Solid verbal communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills; and excellent phone manner
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends events
- Bilingual in Mandarin Chinese is highly desirable
The position requires sitting, standing and walking in and outside of the office. Occasional lifting and carrying of a weight of 30 lbs of event materials and office supplies.