STAFF GENERALIST, YOUTH COUNSELOR (Bilingial in English/Spanish OR English/Mandarin Chinese)
Who we are:
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. The Youth & Family Team at AAFE is building the leadership and power of low-income youth of color and their families by developing politically conscious leaders who are active members of their communities, dedicated to social justice and equity through a network of leadership programming, community engagements, and meaningful relationships.
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
AAFE seeks a full-time Work Readiness Youth Counselor to work within the Youth & Family Team in Flushing, Queens.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, comfortable working in a close-knit team-oriented setting, open to self-reflection and feedback, practices curiosity, and is able to learn through doing. This staff member will work directly with youth living and learning in Flushing. Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Youth Organizer is responsible for the following activities:
● Mentor and manage the Youth Team’s Student Leadership Teams which are designed to give students meaningful
work experience, leadership development and practice, and opportunities to provide relevant services to the
community. Some teams include:
○ Youth Council - student leaders in charge of Youth Center Events, Youth Center Hours and the Youth
○ Digital Literacy Classes - students instructors teach beginner and intermediate computer and smartphone
skills to adult learners
○ Civic Classes for Naturalization - student instructors teach Civic Classes and English classes for their
● Support a group of 25 racially and ethnically diverse program high school youth leaders through relationship
building and general supportive counseling on topics including academic, personal, and interpersonal.
● Create Individual Participant Plans (IPPs) with each program participant, collecting information about student
goals and support systems and monitoring student progress throughout the year.
● Partner with relevant stakeholders in youth team, community services team and outside partners to do outreach to
community clients for classes
● Collect and analyze program participant and activity data, for the purpose of monitoring, reporting, and refining
metrics for program outcomes and impact.
● Report on program outcomes achieved and suggest and implement changes as needed.
● Support Youth & Family Team programming as assigned, including but not limited to college visits, Career
Conference, Summer Retreat, celebrations, parties, special events, etc.
● Assist Program Manager in preparing regular reports.
● Participate in department and staff meetings and training.
● Share light chores to maintain the optimize organization and neatness in the office.
● Support office operation as needed.
● Other responsibilities as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, psychology or another related field.
● Bilingual in Mandarin Chinese or Spanish
● 1-2 years of experience working with high school aged youth
● Experience teaching and/or developing curriculum
● Understanding of immigrant communities and Commitment to working with culturally diverse communities and
environments; strong sense of social justice and belief in youth power and potential
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple complex tasks
● Highly motivated self-starter who is able to work independently and as part of a team
● Excellent organizational and computer skills including Google Suite, MS Suite, and social media
● Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
EXPECTATIONS & HOW WE WORK:
We believe that the people and the communities that we have the privilege to serve, deserve our very best every day. We are a results-driven organization that focuses on inclusiveness, empowerment and impact. AAFE employees are accountable, collaborative and strong communicators with a core strength of community service and development. We are strategic thinkers who are committed to racial equality and treating each other, and the communities we serve, with respect and dignity. We have an aptitude for technology and a strong desire to continuously learn. This philosophy expands to the way we manage our work and the way we put our best foot forward. All employees are expected to adhere to the following: